Caring for Semi-precious Gemstone Jewellery
Taking care of your semi-precious gemstone jewellery.
The chemicals in perfume, deodorant and hair spray may damage semi-precious gemstone jewellery, so please make sure these products are perfectly dry before wearing your earrings, necklaces, pendants and sets. Other chemicals, such as chlorine bleach, denatured alcohol, turpentine, acetone, and ammonia, can also dull or pit the surface of softer gemstones.
Although the majority of semi-precious gemstones are fairly durable, some - coral and rhodochrosite to name just two - are fragile. To be on the safe side, it is best to treat all gemstones as fragile. Protect your jewellery from sharp blows, scratching, water and sunlight. Amethyst can become paler if exposed to sunlight. Ametrine, aventurine, beryl, citrine, rose quartz and smoky quartz (to name just a few) can also be affected. Natural pearls, opal and turquoise are porous gemstones and can be damaged if immersed in water for long periods. Beading wire in handmade jewellery can also be damaged. Hematite, an iron ore, will rust if exposed to water.
Soft stones like coral, lapis, opal, pearl and turquoise, can easily be scratched, as can silver. Sterling Silver (92.5%) and Fine Silver (99.5%) are soft metals and should be cleaned with 100% cotton polishing cloth to avoid scratching.
Your jewellery - if treated with care - should last a lifetime.